The nations are coming to St. Louis! We’re second in the nation in density of new refugee arrivals. But, did you know that fewer than 10% of refugees will be befriended by an American?
‘And you are to love those who are foreigners, for you yourselves were foreigners in Egypt.’ Deuteronomy 10:19
Our church supports and serves at Oasis International, a ministry that seeks to love and care for the refugee population in South St. Louis City. We teach English classes, host baby showers, and help host the free meal and giveaways Oasis offers for the area residents. Our members help at this event in many ways:
– offering rides to those without transportation
– serving the meal
– playing games with the children
– getting to know the area refugees
There are also many other opportunities to serve at Oasis International, including:
– joining the monthly prayer and worship nights to pray for refugees in our city
– donating and delivering furniture or other household items to be given to refugees in need
– tutoring and caring for kids while their parents are in class
– teaching English, computer skills, and driving classes
– visiting refugees in their homes to offer friendship and encouragement
– participating in baby showers for young refugee moms
Christian Activity Center
The Christian Activity Center is a ‘ministry of place’- a safe place for kids to be encouraged. It is a comprehensive afterschool program that works to provide holistic growth and nurturing opportunities to youth (6 to 18 years old) and families in East St. Louis.
Vineyard groups are currently helping at the with tutoring, reading, playing, teaching computer skills, and other activities (leading worship, hosting a special lesson, etc). Most importantly, you can give your attention, encouragement and love to these kids.
Winter Outreach Shelter
Winter Outreach is a network of volunteers that work together to provide emergency shelter, transportation, food and supplies to homeless individuals in St. Louis when temperatures are 20 degrees or below.
We also partner with The Food Crew to provide food and cook in mass quantities for the nights when the Outreach is open. To learn more about The Food Crew click here.
‘For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ Matthew 25: 35-36